F I N A N C I A L L Y
- Form and activate the community.
- Build a beautiful, one-of-a-kind method of content delivery.
- Attain a fairly dependable content cadence.
- Sell the product in a way that immediately and — from then on — consistently ensures and/or furthers its quality.
- $1/month gets you a free pass to maintain an infinitely bothersome occupation of our Discord, as a guest, and breaks you through our new all-meta paywall.
- $5/month makes you a contact on my phone, and buys your entrance into our subscriber-only Discord channel — a colorful digital brothel full of unlimited delights & temptations.
- $10/month is where it gets really serious. Your choice of upcoming content updates on an individual basis, Tim’s phone number, and up to five custom redirects to content of your choosing (subject to my approval, of course.) An example: extratone.com/flex.
- $20/month will allow you just about anything you want, honestly. Shoehorn yourself on our masthead under just about any title you’d like with your dirty money — we’ll even dolly up a headshot for you. Sit in on editorial meetings if you really want to.
- $100/month and it’s personal. I will be your bitch. What do you want? 24/7 access to my ear? Daily loveletters? Haphazard investment advice? A plaything for your rabid pet??? Terrifying.
E D I T O R I A L L Y
A U D I O
- I finally got around to the long-overdue overhaul of our audio player. It’s at the top of podcast posts, centered, behind a brand-new play button that’s been rendered with colors not found anywhere else in the stylesheet to steal the eye away from the more bureaucratic distractions toward The Real Meat of the Matter.
- It was brought to my attention that the subscribe hyperlinks below the player have simply been linking to the main, aggregated feed this whole time… It turns out, I’ll need to repoint each episode’s one-by-one, so it may take me a bit. Sorry about that.
- After months of hysterical, wildly animated gesturing at my machine, body text padding is very close to where it should be. Everything’s just about perfect in wide mode, but there’s still some serious de-constricting left to be done for the mobile reading experience. This is a big goal I’m setting for four point oh: it shall be just a bit slicker and wider.
- For World Day of Lies, I just… broke the website, but I’ve left in the gradiented color text because I think it breaks the monotony in a creative way. Feel free to berate me about it, as always.
- In accordance with The Tone’s launch, our email page has been brought up to speed and ✉️ has replaced 📰 in the tip-top Quickdraw menu.
G O L F
Yes, this is Absolute Worst Case Scenario type shit.
In the near future — probably late Spring, early Summer — I will be enduring nine holes of the dingiest, dirtiest local country club I can find as punishment for the worst mistake I could’ve possibly made as EiC at this point in Extratone’s maturation.
Here’s the deal: while I did manage to squeak in a conversation with Mastodon’s Eugen Rochko less than two hours before his story broke, I could’ve had a two month lead. Just before True/False, our friend Kali brought the service to our attention on February 5th’s episode of Futureland, during which we actually signed up for our accounts, yet… for whatever reason… I did not further pursue the story, at the time, nor did I remember to note it down to do so in the near future.
What occurred, then, was a 100% bang-on situation via this system I’ve bet everything on, and I was the missing link. Half the goddamn mantra of this publication is a dedication to this particular network, and — though Mastodon’s not exactly the sort of story one breaks — Kali’s tip was unquestionably on-brand, intriguing, and relevant to our audience, which is the last thing I can afford to neglect.
This is why I must punish myself in such a manner that I will never forget.
On that note, does anyone know how the fuck golf works?