Just another 2016 review podcast episode? I guess.
-Find me on MAGFest’s Guidebook
-Livestream test of our Fest setup was successful.
C A R R I E
T H E O U T L I N E
A Year in Review
2016 has been one hell of a year.
The sheer amount of shitty things that have happened is hard to grasp. Sitting here, in December, it’s hard to remember the things that happened 12 months ago, in January of this god-forsaken year. It’s important to look back, though, and so while this podcast is about the future, part of this episode is going to be dedicated to the past. At the beginning of each month, because this year has been an actual shit fest, we’ll round up the celebrities who died in that month.
- Renault-Nissan says it wants to give us autonomous cars. 10 in the next four years. Which seems like a lot, and (XX) They have a blog (XX) where they post things about it THAT SOMEONE WHO CARES ABOUT CARS SHOULD READ BEFORE WE RECORD BECAUSE I DON’T CARE ABOUT CARS.
- White House officials met with major tech companies to talk about ISIS, basically. Specifically, they talked about how terrorists are using social media to recruit people for their cells. (XX) It was a closed-door summit, so everything abou it is probably on WikiLeaks. (XX)
- The Year started of shitty. The first man-crush I remember having, Alan Rickman, passed away. So did David Bowie.
- The Powerball hit $1.6 Billion, and I bought my first lottery ticket. Oddly enough, given that I’m still a waitress, I didn’t win. (XX)
- Flint Michigan doesn’t have clean water. (Flint, Michigan still doesn’t have clean water.) (XX)
- Remember that those crazy people in Oregon? (xx) The ones who took over a wildlife refuge? They were a group called Citizens for Constitutional Freedom, and the protest was supposed to be about two guys, and the people they were protesting for said they didn’t want the protest on the refuge. (XX)
- El Chapo was arrested. I only added this because I wanted to say El Chapo. (XX)
- Harper Lee died. Antonin Scalia also died, but while I’d rather he retired from the Supreme Court, awful as this is to say, I’m glad he’s not on it anymore.
- The thing that happened in Oregon? It’s over now.
- Nancy Reagan died. (The surprise one. Hint if I forget: “E”)
- King Tuts tomb had two hidden rooms. This is the only time I’ve ever wanted my father, who is a giant conspiracy theorist, to guest star on a podcast. (XX)
- 34 people are killed and countless are injured in the Brussels Terrorist attack. (XX)
- Clinton is the nominee. Obama goes to Cuba.
- Prince died. This, unfortunately, did not turn the April Showers purple.
- Harriet Tubman is gonna be on the $20. (XX)
- Canada is on fire. Imagine all the hockey memorabilia that was lost. I’m weeping for it. (XX)
- You want a Zika me- Mosquitos are at it again with that disease shit. Like Yellow Fever wasn’t bad enough. (XX)
- Trump is the nominee. Like if you cry everytime.
- Gordie Howie died. Rest in peace, Mr. Hockey.
- Muhammed Ali died. You can’t see this, because you can’t see my outline, but this is a separate bullet point, because Gordie Howie gets his own.
- Cleveland does the thing.
- Brexit. The World begins to unfold.
- It’s not safe to be me. A gay night-club is shot up.
- The voice of Maria, from West Side Story, died. As I am obsessed with this musical, I was v ery, very sad. Elie Wiesel also died.
- Willy Wonka died.
- Michael Phelps ends his career. Ryan Lochte proves he’s not just dumb, he’s also an asshole.
- Jose Fernandez died. I don’t care about baseball, and I was asd about this.
- Hurricane Mathews: so that happened.
- Fidel Castro died. Gwen Ifil died. Leonard Cohen died.
- DONALD TRUMP BECOMES THE PRESIDENT ELECT OF THE UNITED STATES. (Two days later, I have gotten a boyfriend because of this fact. Years down the line, I’ll just tell people this and follow it with, “It’s a long story.”)
- Cubs win the World’s Series.
- If Carrie Fisher isn’t the last death of 2016, I will actually kill myself. John Glenn died.
- DAPL is denied.